Sunday, June 7, 2009

Homework Blog

When I first started reading Chapter 1 (What is the Web) of the "The Non-Designer's Web Book", I remember thinking and feeling confident that I understood what I was reading. I had just completed the computer terms worksheet, so they were all fresh on my mind. Reading Chapter 2 on searching the Internet was interesting and I learned some things that I did not know. Specifically the difference between search engines and search directories. I was aware that other search engines existed, but I never understood the differences. I am sure I will be able to use that helpful piece of information in my future searches.

The upside of web page advertising..........I learned in Chapter 5 that costs associated with advertising and web sites can be considerably less than printed advertising. It is also easier to correct mistakes on a Web page than to correct a mistake after an ad has already been printed. There are no additional costs related to colors. The sky is the limit. Information can be added or changed everyday or several times a day keeping your static information up to date.

The upside of print..........Printed information is more portable, you don't need a computer to read printed material. Printing has been around a lot longer than web advertising and therefore we are more accustomed to it, and there are more print tools available. Printed material does not crash, unless you would call dropping your magazine in the bathtub crashing. However, a computer would also be ruined if you dropped it in your bath tub. :)

In Chapter 6 I learned the following about designing a web page. Do not mix alignments unless the mixed alignment strengthens the design. Centering is overused. Straight lines make a document easier and more pleasant to read. Borders should be removed because they clutter the page and can distract the reader from focusing on what is important. Proximity is also key. Things that are closely related to each other should be close together in order to make the relationships obvious to the viewer. Repetition is also important. Logos, color schemes, background, and layout should remain consistent throughout the website. Contrast can be used to pull you in, don't contrast two shades of one color, make the colors very different from the other. Last but not least, make sure you spell everything correctly. Why bother making a beautiful design if you don't take the time to check your spelling.

When deciding between gif and jpeg, gifs should be used for the simple or less flashy applications, and jpeg should be used with photographs because of the complexity of colors and shading.

Wow, I just experienced a sinking feeling. I previewed my blog, and it just disappeared. Poof it was gone. So after a few minutes of being disgusted with myself, I thought my only choice was to start over. So I clicked on "New Post" and then I saw the option to edit blogs. There it was. I feel much better now.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, used to be pink?! Nice blog, quite detailed, I can see why you were scared that you may have lost it! See you tomorrow evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very in depth answers. Nicely done

    ReplyDelete